I am sure I don’t have to tell you this, but we live in a very fast paced world! Running from here to there…school, sports, church, shopping, household chores, visiting with friends, etc… Many of us are moving so fast that we don’t know how to stop! We are so busy that we survive on caffeine and sacrifice our sleep. It’s really just a downward spiral from there, YIKES! So I thought a good place to start this series was STRESS RELIEF! Anybody with me??
Here are a few of my top tips for stress relief, some of which I need to put into practice more myself!
1. Drink LOTS of water. I think this is always my top suggestion for any ailment or issue! Really, more than half our body weight comes from water. Our bodies do not function well without water. So that issue alone could cause stress on our bodies. When we are thirsty we become weak, crabby and achy among other things. Trying to quench that thirst with caffeinated drinks will result in all sorts of problem…leading to MORE STRESS. Eight glasses a day keeps the crabbies away!
2. Write everything down. Keep a calendar and a chalkboard or dry erase board out and always accessable. I find that if I rely on my brain to remember all that has to be done in a day…I forget, I fail and I am extra stressed! My brain is already overloaded and I have three children, so I need all the help I can get!
3. SLEEP! Oh, this is the one I struggle with the most. In the evenings, all the things I didn’t get done during the day or are easier to get done “kid-free” keep me up too late, too many nights. It always seems like a good idea, until it’s time to get up in the morning. That’s another recipe for crabbiness Try to get at least 6-8 hours per night, you won’t regret it!
4. Say NO! There are so many programs and events that are very worth your time, but you can’t do them all! Not well anyhow…When we get ourselves spread too thin, we are mediocre in everything and excel at nothing. Prayerfully, pick and choose what are the best uses of time for you and your family and you will be able to experience peace.
5. Unplug! Part of this busy world is all the technology we are blessed with. A blessing and a curse, right? The phone, the internet, e-mail, television…we have access to everything anytime we want or think we need it. Problem is, it can be a constant interruption and pull on us if we allow it to be. Try to make time each day to unplug, enjoy some fresh air, get some exercise, play with your children, recharge and refresh your mind.
6. Eat right. A busy life makes healthy eating difficult, so you have to plan ahead. Otherwise, you will find yourself at that vending machine or fast food restaurant adding to the stress issue. Sometimes you just need an extra nutritional boost. Some of my favorite supplements for stress relief are an all natural B Complex, Stress Relief Complex and of course a good multi-vitamin!
I could go on and on, but these are my top six tips for natural stress relief. Some of them seem obvious, but often the obvious thing is the one we are forgetting! What is your favorite way to de-stress? ~Kelly